Tuesday, November 29, 2011

More Pictures Of Kirbyville Texas Taken In 1996

The Last Picture Show
The Last Barbershop.
 When we lived in Kirbyville, Texas in 1952/53/54/55 the town had
a population of 1444. We left and they then had 1440 people.
I seem to remember the town had 5 barber shops. I also remember a blacksmith shop. Long gone.
There was nothing much to do in Kirbyville back then but go down town and watch them cut hair. And maybe see a train carrying pulpwood pass through town.

The Last Drug Store
The Last Main Street
In 1954 I once lay down on the top of this building and ate mulberries off the tree that grew
overhead. I think of it as a Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain type memory.

The Last Hardware Store.
 My memory of this place from 1952-53-54 is of a
brightly lit top flight hardware store. I bought rope there for calf roping. I remember they had
ropes for sale in all sizes. This store had a great smell of leather and wood as I remember.

Another view of The Last Picture Show.
This is not Larry McMurtry's Archer City, Texas picture show but it is much the same thing.

Click on the name Larry McMurtry in the Label Box below to read about the time I met him
in his Washington D.C. Georgetown bookshop named Booked Up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirbyville,_Texas