Sunday, August 25, 2013

IF You Need Anything Just Whistle

We went to the Southampton Library Book Sale yesterday. They sell donated books twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    I have been reading about James Jones last book titled WHISTLE which came out after his death in 1978. He died in 1977 here in Southampton at the hospital.
    When we went in the book sale I went straight to the fiction and looked under the J's. They had only one James Jones book for sale and it was WHISTLE. It was a first edition hardback from 1978.
It was in perfect condition with the book jacket. It was priced at 3 dollars. I bought it.
I had just been talking about the book on the way to the sale. I was thinking I would not find a copy and would just have to wait and check it out of the library at home. And lo and behold here it was waiting for me in Southampton. I was looking for it and it was looking for me.
  The title refers to a hospital for wounded veterans where the medics would tell the men "If you need anything just whistle."