Monday, September 29, 2014

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - Happy Trails


Click on the picture above to enlarge it. It is a beautiful RCA Victrola 78 rpm record player.

In 1965 I went to a "white elephant" auction in the courtyard of the Ursuline Convent in New Orleans. I think it rained or was going to rain. I do remember no one but me showed up. I saw an old time wind up Victrola. At that time nobody wanted them. You could not give them away. I had 2 dollars in my pocket. I bid 2 dollars and won the floor model full size old time wind up 78rpm Victrola in a large wooden cabinet. Then I had to carry it to our apartment by hand two blocks and up four flights of stairs. Then I went out looking for some 78rpm records. I found tons of them at a thrift shop in the French Quarter called Volunteers For America. In fact, a whole wall was filled floor to ceiling with 78rpm records. The price was 5 cents a piece. I bought twenty or so and took them home. The only one I remember now after all these years was Happy Trails by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. "Happy Trails to you, until we meet again".
Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.