Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ed Kienholz At The Washington Gallery Of Modern Art- Catalogue- Walter Hopps Director

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
What an eye opener this show was. Walter had just arrived in Washington D.C. and this was one of his first shows. Modern West Coast L.A. art had arrived in D.C.
  More of this catalogue will be added from time to time. Check back. Click and double click if necessary on the pages below to enlarge to read them.


Selected pages from the catalogue. See below. I will add more later. Click and double click if necessary on the photos to super enlarge them.







The viewer was given the choice of looking in the window or not.
Kienholz once worked at a state mental hospital just as Ken Kesey had.
Years later(1974) I worked at a private psychiatric hospital called Chestnut Lodge in Rockville, Maryland. See my posts on Chestnut Lodge for my Tales From The Locked Wards Of A Psychiatric Hospital. When I first saw the Kienholz exhibition in 1967 little did I know that I would one day work in one of these places as a psychiatric aide.