Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why Did The Dentist Slip And Fall On The Marble Floor In The Hallway Of The Shoreham Hotel?

Click on the picture to enlarge it. That is the lobby of the Shoreham Hotel in Washington D.C.
In the picture above note the white marble columns. Also note the marble floors. The incident described below took place in the hallway seen at the far right in back of the picture above.
http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/WashingtonDCShoreham.aspx

Another one of the first reports I took as a Security Officer at the Shoreham Hotel in Washington D.C. back in 1977 was about a man who had slipped and fallen and hurt himself on the marble floor in the hallway.

We had a convention of about 10,000 dentists at the hotel. The place was packed and I got a call that a man had fallen and hurt himself. I went to take the report. The man was still lying on the marble floor next to a marble column. He told me he had slipped on the wet floor. I could see that water had dripped down the marble column and collected on the almost white marble floor making the water almost invisible and hard to see..

The man was a dentist and he had fallen and injured his wrist and arm. He was with his wife and another man. I asked if he wanted me to call an ambulance. He said no as I recall and that his wife and friend who was his lawyer would drive him to the hospital.

I later found out he was hurt badly enough that he could not work as a dentist. I don't know how much money he got from the hotel's insurance company but I bet it was quite a bit.

Watch out for wet floors.