Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Really Good History of Gambling In Mississippi And The White House Hotel In Biloxi,Mississippi


This fountain was damaged by Hurricane Katrina and is now being restored. Here is an article about that:
http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/GCNnewsStatusBlxRestorationProjects112709.htm

Above is the old White House Hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi now closed awaiting renovation.
It is mentioned in the article linked below. My family used to stay in this hotel every summer in the 1940s and early 1950s. This hotel like many others on the Miss. coast at that time had a room with slot machines.
As a child of 10 or so I once hit a jackpot on one of these machines around 1950. It was a nickel machine and out came piles and piles of nickels. I stuffed all those nickels in the pockets of my short pants and ran to tell my family of my good luck. I told the desk clerk as I ran by his desk. He said "Hey you aren't supposed to play those machines". I kept on running to our room. At that time in the late 1940s and early 1950s the hotel was not air conditioned. But it had large high ceilings and large old style ceiling fans. And large windows to open to the outside.
Here is the link to the history of gambling in Mississippi which mentions the White House Hotel.
http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/articles/80/gambling-in-mississippi-its-early-history
Here is a link to information about the history of The White House Hotel and the attempt to renovate it.
http://www.whitehouseonthegulf.com/index.html